Time for Renewal
I have been doing some research on times of revival and renewal. Historically, it is interesting to me how God has set certain times in history where the power of the Holy Spirit is on display in a very dynamic way. The methodology has varied from time to time, however, there are some common denominators in many of these movements.
Here are some of these common denominators:
- Heartfelt Worship of the people with the desire to elevate all 3 persons of the Godhead.
- Repentance and the desire to confess sin and become free of its chains.
- Preaching is more than giving out information. There is a passion in the process of preaching that propels the church forward.
- Prayer that is kingdom extension minded, it is more than just maintenance.
- The Content of prayer is more important than just the number of people praying
- Understanding the sweet delight of the power of God’s grace in a dynamism. This overcomes the imbalance of being legalistic or ignoring God’s call to live righteously.
- A strong desire for biblical literacy. Complacent people awaken to learn more about the ways of God.
- Evangelism outreach becomes real and impacts communities outside of the local church
When I look at this list in the context of the things that we are doing here at the River Center, I see that the infrastructure of many of the things that we do are already in place. We have responded in obedience to the head of the church (Jesus) to integrate these aspects of Kingdom extension.
Obviously, we cannot force these things to happen in our own strength alone. We need the touch and power of the Holy Spirit. However, I believe that the Spirit desires our church to be moving forward in listening to him and seeing Gospel renewal come alive in us. The time is now; it is not just church business as usual. We must see the need to awaken from our slumber and respond to the Spirits call on our lives individually and corporately too.
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1st Cor. 6: 19-20 esv