Fasting: is a willing abstinence or reduction from certain food or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time, depending on the person. We’ve included a number of different types of fasting. Please read Isaiah 58 as you begin this time of fasting and prayer.
- A full fast: This can be used in an emergency situation. It includes a 3 day fast without food or water. Queen Ester called the entire nation of Israel to fast for their deliverance. Esther 4:16
- Daniel Fast: Abstaining from certain foods for a period of time such as luxury foods. Daniel 10:2-12 Daniel fasted for 21 days on vegetables. He had no processed carbs, juices, no coffee, no sweets!
- Fasting from indulgences: God may speak to us individually for anything that He wants us to sacrifice for a period of time. This scan be fasting from many things such as coffee, deserts, TV, shopping, and social media.
- A Regular Fast: Traditionally, a regular fast mean refraining from eating all food. Most people still drink water or juice during regular fast. Matthew 4:1-11, Jesus fasting in the wilderness
- A Partial Fast: This type of fast generally refers to omitting a specific meal from your diet or refraining from certain types of foods. You’re going to fast breakfast, lunch, or dinner for a week, usually choosing only one meal a day to omit from your diet.
Genesis 12:1-3, “Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country and you kindred and your father’s house to the land that I will show you. And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing.”
Isaiah 58:6, “Is not this the fast that I choose: to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke?”